Re: `texinfo-format-buffer' doesn't fold long lines

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: `texinfo-format-buffer' doesn't fold long lines
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:57:07 +0900

> I have commented out that inclusion and committed the change.
> So `texinfo-format-buffer' should work again as you expect.

Thank you very much for that.  It works fine now.

> As I wrote at the time I included it

>     ... I don't think this fix should be used as is.

> Evidentally, back in November 2001, a user in FSF India could not
> format the then new edition of `emacs-lisp-intro.texi' using
> `texinfo-format-buffer' because `texinfmt.el' created the bad line

>     @end address@hidden

> He was using a Microsoft operating system and thought (erroneously,
> according to Eli Zaretskii) that `makeinfo' had not yet been ported.
> That is why he was using the deprecated `texinfo-format-buffer'
> command.

> In any event, I completely forgot about it.

I see, and I will have to keep in mind that there might still be
need to fix the address@hidden address@hidden' problem.

> You write that

>     ... texinfmt is essential to format Japanese Info files.

> What needs to be changed for `makeinfo' to format them?

It is to support text encoded with the iso-2022-7bit coding
system, etc.  The raw data of those will contain `@', `{', and
so forth, and makeinfo will misidentify them as the commands.
Please note, coding systems used to encode Japanese text
includes not only iso-2022-7bit but also euc-jp, shift_jis and
utf-8, etc.  Furthermore, Chinese and Korean might be similar,
though I'm not familiar with them.  There will be 8bit data
which makeinfo does not expect.

Probably, what makeinfo should do first will be to decode text,
before formatting them.  And the means to know the coding system
which is used to decode text will be necessary.

> As Eli wrote back then,

>     I'd rather advise that users to use makeinfo.  texinfmt.el doesn't
>     support quite a few of the newer features ...

> We should modify `makeinfo' to handle Japanese Texinfo, if need be.
> `makeinfo' is faster and `texinfmt.el' was deprecated a long time ago.

It is just what I am hoping!  I always use the makeinfo command
in order to format texi files written by US-ASCII and Latin text
and rate it highly.

Regards,