Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:28:27 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> To some people, for instance me, having to watch a blinking cursor
> produces real discomfort.  I do not know what percentage of people
> react the same way to it, but I know from other people's reactions
> that I am not the only person like that.  Anybody just starting to
> learn Emacs should be able to disable this torture instrument
> without any need to read prior documentation and do so very quickly.
> (I can not stand the blinking cursor for more than a couple of
> seconds.)  I believe that the first place a desperate novice is
> likely to try is the Options menu.  Hence, I believe that it needs
> to be on the Options menu and be very visible there, i.e. on top.

I think that the average urgency is not such that it would not be
better placed in the Hide/Show menu.  That would be the logical place
for it, I'd think.

Or we make a general "Accessibility" menu which would then also
include black-on-white displays (which are a frequent need).  But
wouldn't a documented command line option be more appropriate for
things which people report they can't stand for even seconds?  They
could then read the man-page before even starting Emacs.