Re: Ok, here is the bug I have been looking for. Kim, not Jan...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ok, here is the bug I have been looking for. Kim, not Jan...
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:52:13 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> With -fno-crossjumping, the real assert came to light.
>>>
>>> It is xdisp.c in line 6122:
>
> In my checkout, the xassert is in line 12290.

Talk about me being imprecise... probably confused this with another
buffer.

> I have now eliminated that xassert.

Well, I have now eliminated all xasserts on my computer for now, and I
find it highly embarrassing that I have to tell people that want to
test drive Emacs without becoming a debugger-savvy developer that they
have to patch around in the source to get it to workable state.  I
have spent about a week for a total of 4 of them (the last being very
elusive, partly due to my stupidity) that basically were of the "well,
if we get a test case where Emacs does not scroll in the right
direction, it may also possibly trigger the assert, and this is
something that we may or may not do something about before the
release" category.  It has been a very unproductive waste of time for
me.

It would be one thing if I could see that it does in any manner
improve our chance of getting _valuable_ feedback (instead of "it
crashed, and even had I been running it in a debugger, the screen
would no longer be updated to show what I had been doing" kind of
reports).