Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:21:43 -0600 (CST)

David Kastrup wrote:

   "Hide/Show" is something more appropriate for things like outline
   mode, I'd say.  "Appearance" would be a reasonably good name, and the
   cursor type belongs in there.

A problem is that the Show/Hide menu currently contains 8 options all
of which _really_ Show/Hide something where "Hide" has to be taken in
the sense most other applications use that word, even though it is
strictly speaking not 100% accurate.  All of them are the following form:

Tool-bar

which does not make any sense without the Show/Hide in front of it.
Thus if you rename Show/Hide to Appearance  all eight would have to be
renamed to:

Show/Hide Tool-bar

or something similar if you object against "Hide".  (I personally
believe that people understand what is meant with "Hide".)
blink-cursor-mode would be the only other one among the nine.

I still do not understand why blink-cursor-mode is less important than
any of the twelve options that are currently at top level, some of
which seem to _really_ be technical details for advanced users, who
probably do not use the menu bar anyway.  For instance, "Use Directory
Name in Buffer Names", which, like many of the other twelve, is
downright confusing, because it seems to automatically apply to all
file visiting buffers.  If showing directory names in duplicate buffer
names (instead of a number) is something that is not just desirable
for a minority of users, make it the default.

Sincerely,

Luc.