Re: Ok, here is the bug I have been looking for. Kim, not Jan...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ok, here is the bug I have been looking for. Kim, not Jan...
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:01:26 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:52:13 +0100, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I find it highly embarrassing that I have to tell people that want
>> to test drive Emacs without becoming a debugger-savvy developer
>
> Why do you find it "embarrassing"?

Because there is no other usable Emacs to be had?

> Is it surprising to these people that a develop tree is optimized
> for ... development?

It isn't.  This "optimization" has wasted a week for me already, by
triggering non-bugs that were slated to be fixed anyway.

Just because I point out that the external damage we are doing with
this kind of thing is acutely embarrassing and unnecessary does not
mean that it not also impedes development internally.

> It is certainly possible for Richard to decide that the default
> state of the CVS trunk should be optimized for random users who want
> to check out Emacs, and not for people interested in helping find
> bugs.

You conveniently ignore that I already explained several times that
this setting in the current situation is actively _preventing_ fixing
the kind of "bugs" that get triggered by it.

Just that I also point out that shooting others in the foot is not
going to make us popular does not mean that I consider shooting
ourselves in the foot a great pastime.

> But I think it should an explicit decision to that effect.

I was of the opinion I was arguing just for that.