Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:35:21 +0000

Richard Stallman wrote:

Does anyone else agree that this option should be in the Options menu?

What do other applications do about this?  My version of mozilla has
no way to change whether the cursor blinks, but it is rather old.
Very few applications let you change the type of cursor they use. Those that do, will bury the option somewhere within their equivalent of `customize', because they expect that the user will set it to their preference once, then never need to touch it again. If mozilla has this as an option, I expect you have to delve into the configuration files for it. It is probably worth making the cursor type a custom option at least, it appears not to be now (I'm looking at default-cursor-type, maybe that's the wrong setting).

As others have pointed out, it is more common to have a blinking bar cursor when text is set to insert, and to use block cursor to indicate overwrite mode for those applications that use a blinking cursor. cua-mode already has code for changing the cursor based on whether we are inserting or overwriting (or it did last time I looked), it might be worth extracting the relevant code from there and turning it on by default.