Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:44:20 +0000 (UTC)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2005 Mar  2  11:50 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.13 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.2)
started with

    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q

As suggested, I just tried out

    (setq cursor-type 'hollow)

for my selected window.

In summary, I find it irritating to use any kind of blinking cursor,
even hollow.  I know that some like blinking cursors just as some
like <blink> text on Web sites.  But I do not.

A non-blinking cursor-type 'hollow is OK for a non-selected window and
can be left that way.

As I suggested earlier, Emacs should return to the format used by
other user environments, and offer a non-blinking cursor by default.

If not, Emacs should make the option easy for people to change.  The
blinking or non-blinking cursor option and the options for shapes for
selected and non-selected windows are more important than the current
"Truncate Long Lines in this Buffer".  (I am not claiming that the
long lines option is unimportant, only that it is a buffer specific
option that often does not effect `this buffer'.  Consequently, it is
less important than general options that have effects in all buffers.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8