Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.2
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:00:28 -0500

> have M-g as goto-line or else".  I really feel that the use of
> goto-line to warrant a single char key binding is overblown--specially
> for a single keystroke binding!; if people use it that often then one
> should write a proper mode for Emacs to ease whatever one is doing
> instead of introducing a new keybinding.

We've gone through that umpteen times.  It just so happens that "the proper
mode" has not yet been written for each and every case, and that in many
cases it can't be written because the line number is not directly available
to Emacs but has to be typed in by the user (e.g. it's given over the
phone, or it's printed in your web-browser's window, ...).

The reason why people use goto-line is not really relevant: the fact is that
they do use it, even if it means M-x goto-line RET or adding a binding
in their .emacs for it.
I.e. there's a very clear need for it.

Even in this very mailing list of highly experienced Emacs hackers, many
people have mentioned that they have goto-line bound to some key.
I used to have it bound to M-g.  I myself have hacked isearch so that
C-s <number> does goto-line.

Arguing "you should follow the true path of enlightenment because I know
better than you" is just ridiculous,

        Stefan