Re: require-final-newline

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: require-final-newline
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:10:46 -0500

    In Emacs 21.3, Text mode did not override the default value of
    require-final-newline.  In current CVS, it does via
    mode-require-final-newline.  Is there a reason for that?

I don't remember the reason, but I remember there was one.
I think that specific point was discussed in this list
a few months ago.

    Also, nil _is_ a valid value for mode-require-final-newline.  But the
    docstring is not very explicit about that and you can not set it to
    nil via Custom.  If you set it to nil outside Custom, Custom will
    falsely describe the value as `ask', which is a bug.

I will fix that.

      Would it be good
    to have the docstring mention this explicitly and allow it to be set
    to nil via Custom with proper warning of the involved dangers

I don't know how to make Custom issue warnings.