Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:31:47 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   If he did not finish the paragraph, he will probably assume the
   newline is soft.  If he did finish the paragraph, he will probably
   assume the newline is hard.

The way I see it, if use-hard-newlines is enabled, the user finishes a
paragraph by explicitly typing a newline.  That newline _is_ hard.
Newlines inserted by Emacs for filling or standard-following purposes
are soft.

   So I think that use-hard-newlines should inhibit the effect of
   require-final-newline.  It is the only way to get reliable results.

There are two minor modes I know of that use hard newlines: Enriched
mode and Longlines.  I believe that the above solution would be OK for
Enriched mode, at least as long as it only works with text/enriched.
Unless I overlooked something, nothing in RFC1896 requires a final
newline, hard or soft.  I believe, however, that Longlines could
conceivably be used for stuff whose standard requires a final newline.

Sincerely,

Luc.