Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:21:54 +0100

>     >     A google search on "emacs turn off blinking cursor (without the
> quotes)
>     >     gives around 10000 hits.  That is 10 times more than a similar
> search
>     >     with "blinking cursor" replaced by "fringe", but only a fifth than
> the
>     >     search for "tool bar" or "menu bar".
>     >
>     > That is persuasive evidence; I am convinced.  Since this does not
>     > fit in the Show/Hide menu, let's add it at top level.

>     That is FALSE evidence!!!
>
>     The search:
>
>       emacs turn off "blinking cursor" -info -xemacs
>
>     gives just 163 hits on google.
>
> I do not do much web searching.  Could you explain the difference?

The quotes around "blinking cursor" requires that those two words are
adjacent in matching documents.  This eliminates false hits which just
have the words blinking and cursor anywhere in the text.

-info means not to include hits which include the word "info" -- looking
at the original matches, _many_ of them originated from copies of emacs'
info files, so specifying -info eliminates those false hits.

-xemacs means to ignore hits which are related to xemacs.

A simple search which turns up 10000 hits cannot be taken as
evidence of anything...