Re: English usage bug in bytecomp.el

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: English usage bug in bytecomp.el
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:08:21 -0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> However, a variant which might be even clearer, and maybe less
> objectionable would be "FOO is an obsolete function (since 21.4)".

That's not too bad, although I prefer the "has been" variant. Here is
yet another using a fairly simple past tense with a word that might
not be known to non-programmers:

  FOO was deprecated in 21.4

If anyone in this list does not know what deprecated means, please
raise your hand.

If the word deprecated is not known to all, then:

  FOO was made obsolete in 21.4

On a different topic, it would be useful if the message indicated a
replacement.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD