Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:53:09 +0900

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:05:33 +0200, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2. goto-line is not too frequent command to deserve the sole
> M-g key.  There are many other goto-related commands that could
> share the same mnemonics and have the common M-g prefix key.

Hmmm, not a bad idea.  I especially like the fact that next-error &c
could have a less annoying binding that C-x ` (also completely
unintuitive).

> Since goto-line is still the most frequent among them, it could
> have also the most easily typed key binding `M-g M-g'.

It would be good to also have a plain "g" binding for goto-line, for
those people that use ESC instead of a real meta key -- it's much
easier to hit `ESC g g' than  `ESC g ESC g' (you've already done this
for the other "meta" commands in the keymap).

[I suppose it's people that use ESC that might object most strenuously
to the prefix-key idea.]

-Miles

p.s. I have M-g bound to `fill-paragraph' myself... :-)
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.