Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:43:58 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>

> > I think it would be much more readable if we had a special define.
>
> Not in this case, IMHO; see below.
>
> > This was my suggestion earlier:
> >
> > > I suggest removing the "#ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS" completely or (which I
> > > believe most would like better - but not I) replacing them with
something
> > > like
> > >
> > >     #ifdef HAS_HOURGLASS
> >
> > In the light of your answers I do not believe you want to remove these
> > ifdefs so I suggest now we do something like:
> >
> >    #if HAVE_HOURGLASS
>
> This would require to have some configury stuff that would detect
> whether HAVE_HOURGLASS should be defined or not.  Since Windows
> doesn't run the usual configure script (and neither does the DOS
> port), adding such a define will require more hacking in these ports.
> Especially since writing a test for this feature is not so easy even
> for those platforms which do support hourglass (e.g., think about
> Emacs configured with --without-x).
>
> So please don't do that.  Please replace
>
>   #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS
>
> with
>
>   #if defined(HAVE_X_WINDOWS) || defined(HAVE_NTGUI)

There is a lot of them. I understand your concern. However we do not have to
do anything difficult to use HAVE_HOURGLASS. After taking a look at the code
I believe HAVE_HOURGLASS should go into src\config.in. There is already an
#ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS and I suggest putting something like this after that
define:

   /* This is for the hourglass code in various files. */
   #if defined(HAVE_X_WINDOWS) || defined(HAVE_NTGUI)
   #define HAVE_HOURGLASS
   #endif

IMO it will be more readable and if you want to add hourglass code for other
systems some day it is easier.