Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:51:17 +0200

> From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:42:25 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
>
> > > I believe HAVE_HOURGLASS should go into src\config.in. There is
> > > already an
> > > #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS and I suggest putting something like this after
> > > that
> > > define:
> > >
> > >    /* This is for the hourglass code in various files. */
> > >    #if defined(HAVE_X_WINDOWS) || defined(HAVE_NTGUI)
> > >    #define HAVE_HOURGLASS
> > >    #endif

src/config.in is a generated file, so you should not make any changes
in it, anyway.

> > > IMO it will be more readable and if you want to add hourglass code for
> > > other systems some day it is easier.

I don't see how this is more readable.  One cannot understand the
meaning of HAVE_HOURGLASS without grepping thru lots of places.

> > But the w32 port does not expand config.in to config.h AFAIK, so this
> > does nothing when building on w32.
>
> Thanks. For w32 there is instead a config.nt where this should go too.

But why do this?  What good will this do?  All it does is spread the
information between several differeint files, instead of keeping it
together, and on top of that, it adds a useless change in config.in
(since the Windows build doesn't use it).  I don't see any benefit in
such pseudo-configured stuff.

We already have pieces of code that are conditioned similarly, e.g.:

  #if defined (USE_X_TOOLKIT) || defined (HAVE_NTGUI)

So this is clearly an accepted practice in Emacs.