Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:03:45 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>

> I don't see how this is more readable.  One cannot understand the
> meaning of HAVE_HOURGLASS without grepping thru lots of places.

Hm ;-)

There is something I do not understand in your argument. How about
HAVE_MOUSE, HAVE_SOUND? They seem possible to grasp to me - and they are
used in Emacs.

> We already have pieces of code that are conditioned similarly, e.g.:
>
>   #if defined (USE_X_TOOLKIT) || defined (HAVE_NTGUI)
>
> So this is clearly an accepted practice in Emacs.

I find it very hard to guess what this define is for without reading the
code. Using names like HAVE_MOUSE, HAVE_HOURGLASS makes it much more easy to
guess IMO. And I think that is important if you are scanning the code
quickly trying to find things, see the structure etc. It may of course
depend on how you are thinking, but for me this makes sense. I would guess
it makes sense for a lot of other people too (but I am of course not sure.)