Re: move-beginning-of-line

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: move-beginning-of-line
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:48:40 +0100

* Kim F. Storm (2005-03-14) writes:

> I wonder how preview-latex handles this, as it uses images over
> multiline text _a lot_ ...?

A typical example would be LaTeX code like

Foo\footnote{Bar
baz} blah

which, with the help of preview-latex (or AUCTeX's folding
functionality), will get displayed as

Foo¹ blah

> Does beginning-of-line work ok
> with images in the middle of lines?  If so, how?

That depends.  With point at the end of the line in the example
`C-a' will move to the beginning of the line.  With
`beginning-of-line' point will end up inside of the overlay.

One can test this quite easily (circumventing preview-latex's
provisions for playing with point) with code like

(progn
  (insert "\nwww xxx\nyyy zzz")
  (overlay-put (make-overlay (- (point) 11) (- (point) 4)) 'display "111"))

If found it a bit peculiar that `M-x beginning-of-line RET' and `M-:
(beginning-of-line) RET' yielded different results.  In the former
case point will end up on the first "1" and in the latter case after
the last "1".

--
Ralf