Re: Disabling Tramp

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Disabling Tramp
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:31:07 -0700

Kai Gro?johann wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:
>>It's generally agreed that the user should be able to enable and disable
>>features at will.  Should Tramp be a global minor mode a la
>>auto-compression-mode and auto-image-file-mode?
>
> Disabling Ange-FTP works the same as disabling Tramp: You can remove
> the entry from file-name-handler-alist, or you can prefix the filename
> with "/:".
>
> Are you mentioning this now because you believe that Tramp is somehow
> different?  Could you explain what makes it different?

Not different, just difficult -- as difficult as ange-ftp:

(setq file-name-handler-alist
      (delq (rassq 'ange-ftp-hook-function file-name-handler-alist)
            file-name-handler-alist))
(setq file-name-handler-alist
(delq (rassq 'ange-ftp-completion-hook-function file-name-handler-alist)
            file-name-handler-alist))

I think users who want to disable ange-ftp would appreciate having that
wrapped in a command, plus a command to re-enable it.  And similarly for
Tramp.

--
Kevin Rodgers