isearch magic space

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: isearch magic space
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:14:13 -0500 (EST)

Some time ago, I proposed providing a magic space for ordinary isearch.
The response was generally favorable, but my papers were not in order, so
the patch could not be applied.  My copyright assignment is settled now;
can the patch be applied, or is it too late?

*** emacs/lisp/isearch.el~      Tue Mar 15 19:06:42 2005
--- emacs/lisp/isearch.el       Tue Mar 15 19:15:49 2005
***************
*** 109,114 ****
--- 109,123 ----
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'isearch)

+ (defcustom search-string-whitespace-regexp "[ \t\r\n]+"
+   "*If non-nil, regular expression to match a sequence of whitespace chars.
+ This applies to ordinary (string) incremental search.  When you
+ put a space or spaces in the incremental regexp, it stands for
+ this, unless it is inside of a regexp construct such as [...]
+ or *, + or ?."
+   :type 'regexp
+   :group 'isearch)
+
  (defcustom search-whitespace-regexp "\\s-+"
    "*If non-nil, regular expression to match a sequence of whitespace chars.
  This applies to regular expression incremental search.
***************
*** 2027,2033 ****
       (isearch-regexp
        (if isearch-forward 're-search-forward 're-search-backward))
       (t
!       (if isearch-forward 'search-forward 'search-backward)))))

  (defun isearch-search ()
    ;; Do the search with the current search string.
--- 2036,2051 ----
       (isearch-regexp
        (if isearch-forward 're-search-forward 're-search-backward))
       (t
!       (if isearch-forward
!           'isearch-search-forward 'isearch-search-backward)))))
!
! (defun isearch-search-forward (string &optional bound noerror count)
!   (let ((search-spaces-regexp search-string-whitespace-regexp))
!     (re-search-forward (regexp-quote string) bound noerror count)))
!
! (defun isearch-search-backward (string &optional bound noerror count)
!   (let ((search-spaces-regexp search-string-whitespace-regexp))
!     (re-search-backward (regexp-quote string) bound noerror count)))