Re: suggestions on toolbar icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: suggestions on toolbar icons
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:08:01 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>

> The tool bar icons follow the Gnome stock items
> (http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/gtk-Stock-Items.html).  I think Emacs
> should follow them as close as it can, but we can of course change if
> there is a good reason.

Thanks for this pointer.

> >  - Arrows Previous, Next, Up, History Back, and History Forward:
> >    The structural-move icons (Previous, Next, Up) look too much
> >    like the chronological-move icons of Web browsers. I don't
> >    have a slam-dunk suggestion here, but we should come up with
> >    something better: browser users are used to these fat arrows
> >    for chronological moves. (It's best to avoid them altogether.)
>
> Gnome stock left/right/up.

I can actually not find that on the page above. That is I can find
GTK_STOCK_GO_UP, but there is as far as I can see nothing like
GTK_STOCK_GO_PREVIOUS (or LEFT). It seems like they forgot to distinguish
between GTK_STOCK_GO_BACK (ie a chronological move) and ...PREVIOUS (ie a
structural move).

I think this is pretty bad if you need both. On the page above they have
actually used filled arrows for structural moves (see the top). Is that
consistent with their suggestions?

I think we should distinguish between structural and cronological moves. As
I said in another message perhaps we do not need the structural moves in the
toolbar since they are in the text.