Re: Tooltip pops up when moving mouse

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Tooltip pops up when moving mouse
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:12:08 +0100

You can (perhaps) see another version of this problem if you slowly move
the
mouse over a link. The tooltip pops up and immediately disappears again.

That I am seeing this problem may depend on both that I have a slow pc
and
that I am using w32. I believe it is a thread issue. Mouse movements are
detected by the UI thread, but I believe that the lisp timer for the
tooltip
popup runs in the lisp thread. I do not know if the problem is there on X
Windows as well but I would believe it.

It is not.

Thanks. Then I must say I do not understand how this works. As far as I see for this to work reliably tooltip.el:tooltip-start-delayed-tip must record the mouse position (because if the mouse has moved when the timer fires the
tooltip should not be shown). However it does not.

Could someone please try to explain this to me? Am I missing something here?

I don't know how it is implemented, but the tooltip for a link in X11 is not removed if you move the mouse within the link, it is only removed when you leave the link (i.e. the highlight is removed). So the enter/leave link code must do something.

        Jan D.