Is that change a good idea?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Is that change a good idea?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:07:19 +0100

I have seen

2005-03-16  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>

        * help.el (describe-mode): Allow a :minor-mode-function property to
        specify a different minor mode toggle function than the variable.
        * simple.el (auto-fill-function):
        * subr.el (add-minor-mode): Use it.

I have my doubts that the resulting flexibility is really in the best
interest of the users...  In the case where we have to deal with
backward compatibility, would it not be better to use either
defvaralias or defalias to point the "traditional" at the
"straightforward" variable or function?

What do others think?