Chronological and structural link icons

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Chronological and structural link icons
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:55:35 +0100

When discussing the icons in the Emacs toolbar we discovered that the GTK
stock icon items (http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/gtk-Stock-Items.html) does
not really distunguish between "chronological" and "structural" links.

With a chronological link we mean something like for example the left arrow
in Firefox toolbar. This takes the user back to the previously visited page.

With a structural link we mean those links that takes you to the previous,
next or up node in something structured like a table of contents.

It would be nice if you did distinguish between those two kind of links. My
suggestion would be to do something like this:

*** For chronological links use current GTK_STOCK_BACK and
GTK_STOCK_FORWARD. (Compare for example Firefox.)

*** For structural links (prev, next and up, maybe down) I would suggest
something like what I have informed is found in for example gthumb. The
icons there are arrows pointing into a document. It kind of make sense to
me - "moving withing the document tree structure".

Kind regards,
Lennart

PS: Please CC answers to me since I am not subscribed to address@hidden