Re: Coding system robustness?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Coding system robustness?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:11:43 -0500

> I'd like to know whether coding systems in general are supposed to be
> robust, meaning that decoding some random byte string into the coding
> system and reencoding it is guaranteed to deliver the same byte string
> again?

AFAIK, (encode-coding-string (decode-coding-string STR 'foo) 'foo)
should always return STR, otherwise it's a bug.
With the introduction of eight-bit-*, this should be true of "all"
coding-systems in Emacs-21, although IIRC some bugs were found in this area
and fixed in Emacs-CVS (maybe for utf-8), but my memory is fuzzy.

        Stefan