Re: Type Ahead Find

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Type Ahead Find
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:53:45 -0500

> I-search: gnu [GNU Free Documentation License]

I'm not particularly happy about this reuse of the [...] message.
It's meant to hold an error message.

Maybe it's not too serious as such, but given that the text displayed there
is (at least in your example) nothing more than the text under point,
I don't find it to be worthwhile.

> In contrast with `isearch-search-fun-function' which mainly is used to
> widen the search space (e.g. to other Info nodes, etc.), the new
> variable `isearch-success-function' narrows the standard search space
> to specific buffer regions.

Actually, the first implementation of isearch-search-fun-function (a good
bit before I installed it in the CVS) was triggered by a question on
gnu.emacs.help of how to do an "incremental imenu" and I implemented it with
isearch-search-fun-function where I simply mixed the "current search string"
with the imenu-generic-expression in order to constrain the search space,
pretty much in the way you suggest.

> It removes the need to write a complicated
> search function for `isearch-search-fun-function'.

It seems that what you're suggesting is basically implementable as:

   (setq isearch-search-fun-function
         `(lambda (string &optional bound noerror)
           (if (funcall isearch-success-function)
               (,(isearch-search-fun) string bound noerror))))

so I'm not sure what you mean by "complicated".

        Stefan