Re: Options menu

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:56:02 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>

> Looks like a candidate for "Appearance".  Appearance could be
> structured into overall appearance (frame stuff, cursor, menubar,
> toolbar, speedbar) and detailed appearance (dirnames in buffers, file
> name shadow, syntax highlighting).

Without wanting to comment too much on this now I would like to say I like
the idea of an "Appearance" submenu. I have many times thought of suggesting
a "View" top menu which would contain the same things.

Most applications I use on w32 have a "View" top menu. I do not know about
GNOME hear, whether it proposes something like this or not. My gut feeling
is however that most w32 users would expect a "View" top menu. (According to
user surveys the order and content of the top menu seems to be important. It
should be coherent across applications if possible.)

My gut also tells me it is unlikely that we will have a "View" top menu now.
However an "Appearance" sub menu with the same content will serve part of
the same purpose and will propably IMO feel logical for most users.

I believe that also the appropriate toggle things like "Blinking cursor"
should go into this submenu.