RE: Antialiased text on X11

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Antialiased text on X11
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:39:14 -0800

    The fact of the matter is that anti-aliased
    fonts specially on LCD screens look much better than non-antialiased
    fonts.  Its rather sad that I have to use xemacs on windows (such a
    heresy) in order to have my fonts antialised.

I'm not an expert on anti-aliasing, but I use Windows XP on an LCD with
ClearType smoothing of screen font edges, and it works beautifully. I only
wish I had the same effect when I use Emacs on Linux (I'm not saying there
is no way to do that, but I'm ignorant of it).

If you use Windows XP, try this:

1. Right-click the desktop, choose Properties.
2. Open the Appearance tab (panel).
3. Click the Effects... button.
4. Check the box labeled "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen
fonts"
5. Choose ClearType or Standard (I use ClearType).
6. Click OK. Click OK.

Does that not do what you want?