Re: Coding system robustness?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Coding system robustness?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:52:26 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd like to know whether coding systems in general are supposed to be
> robust, meaning that decoding some random byte string into the coding
> system and reencoding it is guaranteed to deliver the same byte string
> again?

In genenral, no.

> Background for that question: I do error association in preview-latex
> (via AUCTeX) with the original source text, and generally unrobust
> transformations of the input may happen, such as splitting a
> multibyte-char in the middle, or translitering some of those chars,
> but not others.  I currently work this by having the process use a
> raw-text encoding, replace potentially questionable stuff and reencode
> when it turns out that the contexts do not match the source file.
> This has the disadvantage that

> a) I need to go through the works even in case TeX is set up nicely
> enough to deliver mostly working characters, since the raw encoding
> will match much less often than a properly decoded stream.

> b) The displayed output looks like junk unnecessarily.  If we are
> talking about multi-file documents written in different encodings,
> this problem is not possible to avoid with tolerable effort, but in
> the case where the encodings in one document match, it would be nicer
> to have AUCTeX have a nicer output buffer.

> So what encodings are expected to be "transparent" for what versions
> of Emacs (we are only interested in 21.3 and newer)?

These are detected as transparent automatically by the
attached code by the latest code.

chinese-big5 chinese-iso-8bit cyrillic-iso-8bit emacs-mule
greek-iso-8bit hebrew-iso-8bit iso-latin-1 iso-latin-2
iso-latin-3 iso-latin-4 iso-latin-5 iso-latin-8 iso-latin-9
iso-safe japanese-iso-8bit japanese-shift-jis
korean-iso-8bit raw-text

I expect more CCL-based coding systems (lots of CPXXX) are
also transparent (at least utf-XX are so), but can't be
detected automatically.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden

(let ((round-trip-safe nil))
  (dolist (elt (coding-system-list t))
    (and (not (coding-system-pre-write-conversion elt))
         (not (coding-system-post-read-conversion elt))
         (let ((type (coding-system-type elt)))
           (if (memq type '(0 1 3 5))
               (push elt round-trip-safe)
             (if (eq type 2)
                 (let ((flags (coding-system-flags elt)))
                   (if (and (not (consp (aref flags 0)))
                            (not (consp (aref flags 1)))
                            (not (consp (aref flags 2)))
                            (not (consp (aref flags 3)))