Re: Options menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:20:38 +0200

> From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:56:02 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Most applications I use on w32 have a "View" top menu.

This was considered when the menu bar was restructured in preparation
for Emacs 21.1.  The conclusion, IIRC, was that View is generally
inappropriate in a text editor, because it is not a program whose
purpose is to show you something, in which case View selects what
details you are being shown.

> My gut also tells me it is unlikely that we will have a "View" top menu now.
> However an "Appearance" sub menu with the same content will serve part of
> the same purpose and will propably IMO feel logical for most users.

If all Appearance does is be a parent for a few more-or-less unrelated
options, then we'd be better off without it.

When Emacs 21.1 was released, many users complained about the changed
menu-bar structure, even though the new structure was generally
better, certainly more standard-compliant, and had many useful
additions.  Still, they complained.  There's a lesson to be learned
here, IMHO: significant changes in the menu bar should only be done
for a very good reason.