Re: Options menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:32:47 +0200

> Cc: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>,
>         address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:24:34 +0100
>
> > When Emacs 21.1 was released, many users complained about the
> > changed menu-bar structure, even though the new structure was
> > generally better, certainly more standard-compliant, and had many
> > useful additions.  Still, they complained.  There's a lesson to be
> > learned here, IMHO: significant changes in the menu bar should only
> > be done for a very good reason.
>
> Uh, Eli?  Reality check.  The last released menu structure is from the
> year 2001 or so.

It was redesigned in 2001, but it was last released just a few weeks
ago, with Emacs 21.4.

> No matter _what_ we will release next, it will have significant
> changes all over the board.

Not in the menu-bar's menu structure, AFAIK.

> Consistency and cleanliness _are_ good reasons.

Apparently, not good enough for quite a few users.  That was what I
was trying to tell above, obviously with no success.

> the current structure _is_ already completely dissimilar to the last
> released one.

Unless I miss a lot of changes, I don't see how the current CVS is
``completely dissimilar'' to v21.4 as far as the menu bar is
concerned.  The changes are quite small.