Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for funct

From: Martin Stjernholm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for function identifier depending on the kind of whitespace that follows]
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:23:59 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That doesn't work very well while the thing is entered, does it? First
>> you see "s[foo]{" while it's being entered, then you see the next line
>> " bar", and lastly "}x". Your patterns will never see the whole
>> construct at once. (They will however see the buffer end, or even
>> worse some completely unrelated code that happen to be on the
>> following lines and which might confuse them.)
>
> I use font-lock-syntactic-face-function,

(I had to investigate what that really does, in case it worked out
some fantastic magic. But afaics it doesn't. ;)

> so I don't need to "see the whole pattern" (I basically keep track
> of the intermediate state in the parse-partial-sexp state).

If I understand this correctly, this means that your example falls
under the special case when the construct can be recognized from the
first line alone. Unfortunately things aren't always that easy.