Re: The WHY of Xft [was: Re: Antialiased text on X11]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: The WHY of Xft [was: Re: Antialiased text on X11]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:47:19 +0900

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:45:42 -0500, James Cloos <address@hidden> wrote:
> It should be pointed out that antialiasing and sub-pixel rendering are
> just two of the benefits of the client-side font system brought by Xft
> and friends.
>
> The other benefits are just as important.  Control and installation of
> fonts are easier for most users

Can you explain in more detail?  I use debian, and Emacs already seems
able to use the same fonts as xft-using programs, albeit not in
anti-aliased form.

> fonts with large encodings -- such as
> CJKV fonts or any iso10646-encoded font -- use *much* less vm and data
> transfer between client and server is reduced for most workloads.

Doesn't the X server already support partial loading of large fonts?
[I mean the "-deferglyphs 16" in the X startup options.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.