Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:54:24 +0100

>     3. By default this mode should be enabled for non-ascii based
>        image format files like .png, .jpg.  This could be achieved
>        by enabling auto-compression-mode by default and turning
>        image-mode off by default for ascii based formats.
>
> I am completely lost here.  What does auto-compression-mode have
> to do with image-mode?
>
>     2. Perhaps image-mode should be minor mode for extensions like
>        .xbm and .xpm which already have associated major mode c-mode
>        in auto-mode-alist.
>
> Someone else can do that.
>
>     4. Calling `image-toggle-display' sets the modification flag,
>        so after visiting image files only for viewing buffers become
>        modified.
>
> I will make it restore the modified flag after its change.

If you used an overlay instead of text properties, there would be no
necessity to modify the buffer.  It would also imply that copying the
buffer content into the kill ring would not copy the image along.
Since we are talking about a _mode_ here, it would appear more
appropriate to make the image a property of the buffer rather than of
its contents.