Re: Type Ahead Find

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Type Ahead Find
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:14:03 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>> I-search: local variables [(emacs)File variables]
>
>    I-search (in node File Variables): local variables
>
> That's also more similar to other "informational messages" used by
> search, e.g., "overwrapped" or whatever.
>
> [It seems a good idea for space reasons to omit the info-file name;
> AFAIK, isearch won't cross info file boundaries.]

Perhaps you misunderstood what was in square brackets in my example

I-search: local variables [(emacs)File variables]

`(emacs)File variables' is not the name of the current node and file.
It is the name of the reference to another info file and node which is
normally hidden by `Info-hide-note-references'.  The purpose of text
in square brackets is to show hidden reference names under the search point.

This is especially useful in browser-like buffers (e.g. w3m)
to show URLs of displayed link texts.

Some web browsers (for example, text mode browser ELinks) already has
such a feature where during typeahead search URLs are displayed
in square brackets:

Typeahead: gnu project [http://www.gnu.org/]

In Emacs this will look similarly:

I-search: gnu project [http://www.gnu.org/]