Re: Options menu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:49:00 +0100

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:

>> "global-font-lock-mode" which we now present as "Syntax
>> Highlighting".
>
> Can this go into "Appearance" too please. A shorter structured menu
> makes it easier for users.

It has been there already in Emacs-21.1, and all the other
"Hide/View/Appearance/whatever" options concern the frame/window
layout as opposed to the windows content themselves.  We already have
transient-mark-mode and show-paren-mode (which also operate _in_) the
buffer in the Options menu.

So it would appear that such a move does not make sense without at
least a major menu restructuring, and we have ruled that out for 22.1.
So please let's not reopen this can of worms.  No restructuring of
things established in 21.1, not without very compelling reason.  We
closed this discussion.