Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:47:29 +0200

>     3. By default this mode should be enabled for non-ascii based
>        image format files like .png, .jpg.  This could be achieved
>        by enabling auto-compression-mode by default and turning
>        image-mode off by default for ascii based formats.
>
> I am completely lost here.  What does auto-compression-mode have
> to do with image-mode?

Sorry, I meant auto-image-file-mode.

Currently the only one way to visit binary image files in image mode
is to enable auto image mode by auto-image-file-mode.  However, it
doesn't distinguish between ascii based and binary image formats and
enables auto image mode for ascii based image files too.  But it
is desirable to visit ascii based image files in text mode and
binary image files in image mode.

There should a separate variable with a list of extensions of
binary formats (or ascii image formats) to be able after visiting
an image file to display it either as an image or as text, without
the explicit need to type C-c C-c.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/