Re: Type Ahead Find

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Type Ahead Find
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:04:08 +0900

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:46:42 +0100, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Your idea of using a prefix
> > looks better.  We could have the following prefixes:
>
> Again: I don't like the left-right jump of the minibuffer caused by
> that.  If there really is a need for that kind of information, can't
> we put this in the mode-line lighter of Isearch mode?
>
> Like Isearch/Wrapped, Isearch/X-Node...

It's a trade-off:  having it in the I-search prompt make sure that the
user sees it; having in the mode-line is much less sure.

I think that `incidental information' (like a node name etc) is not
important enough to put in the I-search prompt, and that your concern
about the jumping around is valid there.

However I think that these various states of "wrapping" &c are _very_
important to communicate -- it can be extremely confusing for a user
if I-search is finding stuff and he doesn't realize that it's in the
other direction than he originally searched, or in another info node.
[I say this from personal experience :-]

So while your concern is valid, I think these state-indicators should
definitely be included in the prompt -- they're far too critical to
leave out.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.