Re: Antialiased text on X11

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Antialiased text on X11
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:51:37 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

I have started on Xft support, but it is really something for the release
after the next, so I don't spend much time on it yet.  I can confirm your
reasoning, the Emacs font-selection machinery is indeed the most tricky
part, I have not done that fully, so I can't change font yet.  But part of
the problem is that the Xft font selection is entirely new compared to the
old X font selection.

Feel free to put it on an Arch branch somewhere, or a branch in the CVS ;-)

Okay, I've made a branch in CVS, tag is XFT_JHD_BRANCH (jhd is my initials). I hope I didn't breake anything in CVS :-). The font selection is incomplete, so you have to specify a font on the command line, like so:

% emacs -fn monospace-12

(or any other font you prefer). Since the font selection is incomplete, the font choosen when no font is given is helvetica (a proportional font). I'm sure there are drawing errors (I've sen some myself) and other errors. Feel free to drop a me a mail about bugs you see, but I don't expect to spend any time on this until the current release is out of the door.

   Jan D.