Re: Options menu

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:10:48 -0600 (CST)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   3) Choose menu "Save Options".

   What happens on your computer? On my computer debug-on-error is saved as far
   as I can see.

If I understood the code in menu-bar.el correctly (I did not try out
anything), then an oversimplified description of the situation if you
choose "Save Options" is:

1.  The following options get saved if their value was set
    either through the menu bar _or_ through Custom.:

scroll-bar-mode debug-on-quit debug-on-error menu-bar-mode
tool-bar-mode save-place uniquify-buffer-name-style fringe-mode
fringe-indicators case-fold-search display-time-mode
auto-compression-mode current-language-environment default-input-method
text-mode-hook.

In as far as text-mode-hook is concerned, the entire current value of
text-mode hook gets saved, not just the part mentioned in the Options
Menu.  This could easily be inappropriate.  All one can do is hope for
the better.

2.  The following options get saved to the custom-set-variables form,
    no matter how they got their value:

line-number-mode column-number-mode cua-mode show-paren-mode
transient-mark-mode global-font-lock-mode blink-cursor-mode

3.  Other options never get saved.

I believe that we might have to clean this situation up after the
release, as part of making changes and bug fixes to Custom.

Sincerely,

Luc.