Re: RFC: a minor mode that uses GDB like CLI commands

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: RFC: a minor mode that uses GDB like CLI commands
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:11:03 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > It would be very good to make this mode to work like edebug
>  > (automatically making the source code buffer read-only, etc.)
>  > and to have similar keybindings:
>  >
>  > " " - step
>  > "n" - next
>  > "c" - cont
>  > "g" - go
>  > ...
>
> Its seems more natural to use the existing abbreviations for GDB, as Dan
> suggested:
>
> "s" - step
> "n" - next
> "c" - cont
> "r" - run
> "b" - break
>
> although there is clearly a significant overlap, in any case.

I think we should strive to make all of this as similar as possible,
so my take on it would be that we will, after the release of course,
change Edebug's bindings to match the bindings of gdb more closely, as
long as this works appropriately.  Certainly the bindings of Edebug
and Gud-mode should be identical (if the rest of the user interface is
similar), and the bindings of Gud-mode and gdb itself as close as
feasible.  I think we will meet less total opposition if we change
Edebug to match gdb more closely (where there are still discrepancies)
rather than the other way round...