Re: Type Ahead Find

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Type Ahead Find
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:28:14 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> Again: I don't like the left-right jump of the minibuffer caused by
> that.  If there really is a need for that kind of information, can't
> we put this in the mode-line lighter of Isearch mode?
>
> Like Isearch/Wrapped, Isearch/X-Node...
>
> Then the information is available in case of need, but does not take
> up room and concentration in the minibuffer.

As I see in isearch.el there is the following line in `isearch-mode'
function with the comment indicating that someone already considered
this idea:

  (setq isearch-mode " Isearch")  ;; forward? regexp?

This suggests to put the search type in the mode-line.  But I think
its biggest drawback is that the search state might be not visible
in the mode-line when the mode-line is too wide.  For example,
in the current buffer when I activate the search I see the text
"Isearch" truncated in the mode-line:

-=:**  *wide reply to David Kastrup*   All (32,42)    (Message MML Abbrev Fill
Isea

Any additional information in the mode-line will not be visible at all.

So the only place for this information is the minibuffer.
Instead of putting it in the message prefix we could put
it in the suffix in square brackets:

I-search: foo [Failing]
I-search: foo [Wrapped]
I-search: foo [Failing wrapped]

But this doesn't look good either when after wrapping the suffix [Wrapped]
remains for the wrapped search.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/