Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:27:21 +0200

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:
> From: "Luc Teirlinck" <address@hidden>
>> I guess that you have Info-hide-note-references enabled.  The reason
>> why it stops on "see" is that the actual text in the buffer is:
>> (*note Character Sets::). and note matches "not".
>
> Thanks. I am feeling better.

The text "*note " has the `display' text property with the string "see "
which is displayed instead of the original text.  The function
`isearch-range-invisible' (which is used by Info search) doesn't pay
attention to the `display' property.  It processes only the
`invisible' property.  It works the same in all Emacs buffers with the
`display' property (in `image-mode', `w3m' mode, etc.) where it finds
the text not visible on the screen.

How to handle this situation is not clear.  Should isearch find
the displayed text as a contiguous part of the search space?

The simplest solution is to treat the `display' property like `invisible'
property and to skip the text displayed over the original text.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/