Re: file-name-shadow-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: file-name-shadow-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:57:36 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   How 'bout the patch below which makes no assumption (that I know of) about
   substitute-in-file-name, and will thus correctly even with weird
   magic file name handlers.

Seems to work very well.

   But given the fact that icomplete.el has been usable for a long time
   already, I suspect that the performance issue is only in our heads,

That is what we have to assume unless somebody would come up with some
really strong evidence to the contrary.   On my machine, the
highlighting corrects instantaneously, even for complex examples that
completely change by deletion or addition of a single character.

Sincerely,

Luc.