Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:33:03 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:15:35 +0900 (JST), Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> What kind of flag do you mean?  If you mean "national flag",
>> I think it's a very bad idea.
>
> Why?

There is a good article explaining why using country flags as symbols
of languages is a bad idea: http://tech.irt.org/articles/js173/
(or http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html).

> How about, if there's an appropriate locale set, putting the "in
> LANGUAGE" -- except writing that phrase in LANGUAGE instead of
> English.  That should really help it stand out visually too
> (especially with non-latin fonts).

There is a list of language names in etc/HELLO (also in the `sample-text'
property of the language info), so I think writing that phrase in the
same language as defined by locale is a good idea.  In addition to the
direct link to the appropriate tutorial, it will also immediately
indicate that Emacs supports the language of the user.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/