Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:46:51 +0100

>     The simplest solution is to treat the `display' property like
>     `invisible' property and to skip the text displayed over the
>     original text.
>
> I think that is the right thing to do.

It would be wrong for preview-latex, probably one of the most
important applications extensively using the display property.  It is
very important that the underlying buffer text remains both searchable
and replaceable, and preview-latex uses isearch-hooks and similar to
make this as natural and convenient as possible.

It has been doing this for years, probably like all applications using
the display property on non-trivial texts.

Doing an incompatible interface change breaking such packages at the
current point of time would be misguided.  Even if it weren't, it is
wrong to do such a large change in the course of the 22.1 release.
You can't expect all package authors to have adapted to such an
incompatible change as fast as that.

Please don't.  I can't see any advantage of breaking working packages
right now for no currently apparent significant practical advantage.