Re: Info: Why is "note" hidden by "see"?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Info: Why is "note" hidden by "see"?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:56:35 +0100

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:

> (Sorry for making a new thread, i have deleted the old messages about this
> issue.)
>
> Maybe this is not the time to ask, but I simply do not understand
> why an overlay is used in the Info buffer to hide "note" and display
> "see". Why can't the text in the buffer be changed instead? Would
> not that be better for the search functions? Or does that give some
> new problems? Is the actual text in Info buffer important in some
> way?

Seconded.  The proposed "solutions" to this problem break a lot of
other things and gloss over the simple fact that the text should be
changed in the buffer, really.

The only reason I can imagine not to do so would be if info buffer
positions were stored somewhere as integers.  But then one should
rather fix that instead of breaking every other package.