Re: Suspicious code in gnus-read-descriptions-file

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Suspicious code in gnus-read-descriptions-file
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:17:29 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>  (defun gnus-parse-active ()
>    "Parse active info in the nntp server buffer."
> -  (save-excursion
> -    (set-buffer nntp-server-buffer)
> +  (with-current-buffer nntp-server-buffer
>      (goto-char (point-min))

Are you sure that not saving (and restoring) point in
nntp-server-buffer doesn't make a difference?

I've made the same change a lot of places in Gnus ... and if the code
in the `with-current-buffer'-form doesn't change point, it's a
no-brainer, of course.

But if point /is/ changed, I've often found it pretty hard to be
absolutely sure if saving point is actually intended and required.