Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:21:52 +0200

> `*Note' _is_ a part of the text.  It occurs in the output produced by
> `makeinfo --plaintext', which, since it is entirely plain text, does
> not have _any_ special markers.  Anyway, rather than to argue over
> terminology, the important thing is: the user sees it, search has to
> find it.  Note that both `s' and `C-s' in standalone Info correctly
> match `*Note'.  If `not' would not match `*Note' in Emacs Info with
> Info-hide-note-references set to t, then this would be very confusing.
                                ====
Did you mean "Info-hide-note-references set to nil"?

> It would make people start to doubt the reliability of search in
> Emacs.  (What _other_ stuff does search in Emacs ignore?)  It would be
> an outright bug.

Isearch ignores text with `invisible' text properties and hidden
overlays according to `buffer-invisibility-spec'.

Info-search ignores Info files headers, header lines and Tag Table
nodes.

> Sorry for misspelling your name once more in my previous reply.
> I do not know why I keep doing this.

I guess it's because you manually type a citation line every time
you write a response.  To insert it automatically you can use message.el
and set `message-citation-line-function' to `message-insert-citation-line'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/