Re: Two question about VC.

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: Two question about VC.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:42:08 +0100

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 20:47 -0600, Luc Teirlinck wrote:

> 1.  `(emacs)Branches' contains:
>
>   Please note, however, that branches are only supported for RCS at
>   the moment.
>
> I do not use branches myself, but is this really still up to date?
>
> Would the following replacement text be correct:
>
>   Please note, however, that branches are not supported for SCCS.

I am not sure about MCVS, SVN, and Arch, but if we support branches for
all of them (which I tend to assume), then the replacement is correct.

> 2. (emacs)Local Version Control contains:
>
>      But if you do this, the revision numbers in the RCS master no longer
>   correspond to those of CVS.  Technically, this is not a problem, but it
>   can become difficult to keep track of what is in the CVS repository and
>   what is not.  So we suggest that you return from time to time to
>   CVS-only operation, using `C-u C-x v v cvs <RET>'.
>
> `C-u C-x v v cvs <RET>'?  Is that not going to try to commit to the
> repository?   Is `C-x v b' meant?

No, C-u C-x v v cvs <RET> is indeed the intention, because committing
back to CVS is the only way to get the revision numbers consistent with
CVS again.  Otherwise, you would stay on a local RCS branch that was
forked off some CVS revision in the past.  That final sentence could be
clarified as:

  So we suggest that you return from time to time to CVS-only operation,
committing your local changes back to the repository using 'C-u C-x v v
cvs RET'.