Re: Special Characters on Mac Emacs

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: Special Characters on Mac Emacs
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:50:02 +0100

Le 24 Mar 2005, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu a dit :

> I think specifying mac-roman fonts for mule-unicode-* charsets has
> never been valid.  Only a few characters are displayed correctly (the
> first attachment).

Indeed. I have made  some attempts in that way to have  a correct display of
euro char  and box drawing chars for  the Gnus threads tree.  I only succeed
for the euro char. I added an attachment of my usual display.

> Could      you      show       the      concrete      procedure      about
> create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font?

To get back my display once I noticed that my fontset definition is ignored,
i tried several methods :
- selecting in the popup menu (S-Mouse1)
- following your example M-: (set-frame-font (create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font
       "-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--9-90-75-75-m-90-mac-roman"))

I can  see that the  frame briefly flashes  then it redisplays with  the etl
font.

I also added the custom-set-variables for face-font-registry-alternatives as
you advised.

The only useful setting is the "defaults write" method.

> I  can display some  of mule-unicode-0100-24ff  characters with  this (the
> second attachment).  As I said in  the post in last  December, Steven Tamm
> also failed in  displaying Cyrillic characters in his  environment, and we
> couldn't figure out the reason. So, there maybe some common cause of that.

I  have noticed  formerly  that some  characters  displays correctly  (euro,
eastern Europe languages)  but many fail in the  range 2500-33ff and display
instead some Cyrillic.

It seems also  that now Chinese/Japanese messages that  i get sometimes with
Gnus in the forums are not displayed anymore : the glyphs are now all hollow
boxes.

Could you  give an  example of  a full fontset  definition ?  I am  not that
familiar with it and OSX is  the only platform where I have display problems
(GNU/Linux hopefully  provides the  unifont) and I  surely made  some errors
with it...

Regards.

Sébastien Kirche